So, last night we had a moment. One of those, is this meal for real moments. I love PaleOMG for recipe inspiration. When I pull recipes for client’s, her creations are usually in the mix. The ingredient list is always clean, anti-inflammatory and paleo. Best part, the flavors are always spot on.
I have been dying to try her Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili and make it vegetarian/vegan so that I can enjoy it, too. Yesterday, I did it, and will never look back. I can’t even describe the flavor- so you will just have to make it to see for yourself!
We both ate our chili last night and after every bite said the same thing, “this is the best slow cooker dish we have ever had!” And, I make a lot of slow cooker recipes.
In place of the one pound of ground chicken that the original recipe calls for, I added lots of veggies.
One of the reasons that I love this recipe and found myself gravitating towards it is that it requires no pre-cooking of ingredients. You truly chop, drop, hit the on button and walk out the door! The house smells incredible all day and when we tucked the kids into bed our dinner was waiting for us.
Never be afraid to put your spin on delicious recipes- there is ALWAYS a way to adapt. This recipe will be on repeat in our house- even though we live in Florida. And its chili. And almost 90 degrees outside 😉
The Vegan Spin: PaleOMG Slow Cooker Buffalo (no) Chicken Chili
(recipe adapted from PaleOMG)
- 1 white sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 orange sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1- 14.5 ounce can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1- 14.5 ounce can Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I took Juli’s advice and used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- Tessemae’s Creamy Ranch Dressing (if you use this dressing, this dish is vegetarian and not vegan as it contains egg)
- Sliced radish
- Sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
- Place all ingredients (minus the serving list) in your slow cooker/ crock pot. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with any of the optional toppers listed above, but it needs nothing! This dish is perfect just as it is. We added the Creamy Ranch and the cool ranch added a classic buffalo wing/ranch flavor that I LOVED. Such a delicious pairing.
I hope that you all love this vegan version and that you love it as much as Michael and I did. We were fighting over who got the leftovers- ha! That is the sign of a successful dinner!
Have a fabulous Tuesday and if you have any questions about the recipe above or anything at all, never hesitate to reach out.